Wednesday 11 March 2015

My script idea


The following is a script I wrote for the film course. The script is about Chris, a man working from home, who's computer breaks just before he can send off an important email. Whilst panicking, there is a knock at the door. When he goes to answer it he finds Jeremy and Martha, sales representatives of unknown origin. They con Chris into signing a huge contract by telling him they have a new laptop for him and proceed to take what they're owed immediately. When Chris next wakes, he finds himself buried up to his neck on a beach, being taunted by Jeremy and Martha, who explain that they have a debt to pay off and he has signed his life away within their contract. The script has two scenes with the two locations: Chis' house and the beach.

 

 

 

 

 

The Contract

Written by

James Alexander

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CARD:

(Sound of typing. Black screen. Text appears parallel to sound)

The Contract

SCENE 1.

INT. CHRIS’ HOUSE, STUDY – DAY

CUT FROM TITLE. Chris Francis is sat at his desk, typing on his computer rapidly. He is then interrupted by his phone ringing. Continuing to work with one hand, he PICKS UP the PHONE with his other.

 

CHRIS

Hello? Ah sir yes… yes I’m just finishing up now. It’ll take two seconds and I’ll email it over straight away. Yes, sir I understand…yes.

 

As Chris continues to speak to his boss, we see the COMPUTER SCREEN showing his work. Suddenly the screen switches off. Chris presses buttons frantically but the computer is dead.

 

CHRIS

(Makes a noise of panic then composes himself) No sir nothing’s wrong… yes everything should be on its way. Could I talk to you later sir? I just need to check some things…yes sir ok thank you.

 

Chris PUTS DOWN the phone and begins hitting the computer and the desk repeating the words “come on”, getting more and more frantic. He finally collapses with his head in his hands and moans with frustration. He takes a deep breath and sits up. He begins to talk to himself.

 

CHRIS

Ok. I can save this. The computer’s dead but there’s got to be a way I can still send this stuff. There are computers in the library… but it’s closed on a Sunday. I could buy a new one… but I don’t have the money for a replacement. Come on think. There’s got to be something, anything!

There is a sudden loud knocking on the door. Flustered and confused, Chris moves to the door and opens it cautiously. Standing outside are two figures; a man and woman. Both are dressed formally and quite pale in complexion. The man is smirking while the woman stares expressionless at Chris.

 

JEREMY

Good morning sir. How are you today? My name is Jeremy Cranston and this is my sister Martha. Say hello Martha.

 

Jeremy and Chris look at Martha. She stays silent and still. Jeremy begins to giggle.

 

CHRIS

Err…hello?

 

Jeremy

I’m playing with you sir. She won’t respond, she’s mute.

 

CHRIS

Oh I’m sorry

 

JEREMY

Don’t be sir. She deserved it. Now! We’ve been told, by our employer, that you are currently in a spot of bother. Some sort of computer issue? Can we come in?

 

CHRIS

Wait. Hold on. I’m not just letting you in my house. How do you know about the computer?

 

JEREMY

We know a lot of things sir, and I can assure you we are only here to help. We’ve brought exactly what you need.

 

CHRIS

Unless you’ve got a new computer behind your back, you’ve got nothing I need. Good bye.

 

As Chris CLOSES THE DOOR, Jeremy stops the door with his foot.

 

JEREMY

Sir, please. I don’t think you have many options at the moment do you? We’ve got what you need.

 

Jeremy grins and Chris opens the door again.

 

CHRIS

Go on then. What are you selling?

 

JEREMY

We’re selling absolutely nothing sir. Our employer has no need for money. No, we have nothing for you to buy BUT we do have a present for you. Martha, the gift.

 

Jeremy turns to his sister as she reveals a laptop from behind her back. The laptop has a piece of tape across the top, on which is written “CRANSTON 666”

 

Jeremy

This is the Cranston triple six. Designed by Martha and marketed by myself, the triple six is a devilishly fast and reliable machine. And we’ll give it to you for free. Here you go. Take it.

 

CHRIS

I don’t understand. You just go around giving people free computers? You get paid for this?

 

 

JEREMY

We don’t get paid sir. We’ve a debt to pay off. And we don’t give computers to everyone. We provide those in need with what they need when they really need it.

 

Martha passes the laptop to Chris, who examines it cautiously.

 

CHRIS

Well…thank you. Much appreciated. Bye then.

 

JEREMY

I’m afraid that there is something sir. Martha! The contract please.

 

Martha pulls from behind her back a large amount of paper. On the cover is the word contract in large fancy font. All other words are incredibly small.

 

JEREMY

Now it’s very long and very boring and we really don’t want to waste your time talking you through every single page, line and word.

 

Jeremy pulls a fountain pen from his jacket as Martha presents the final page of the contract to Chris.

 

JEREMY

But I feel like you’re a very busy man who needs to be doing busy man things so if you just sign here we can all be on our way.

 

Chris takes the pen and looks quite worried.

 

 

 

CHRIS

I think I should probably read over the thing. Just in case.

 

JEREMY

Sir. Please trust me. All it contains is an agreement to provide feedback if we ask you about how the product has functioned for you, and a waver stating that the product was free and you can’t try and scam us for money.

 

Chris thinks for a moment and says “ok” before signing the contract. The moment he finishes, the contract is pulled away, and the pen snatched from his hand. Jeremy returns the pen to his pocket and grins once more.

 

JEREMY

Excellent. Thank you so very much sir for all you’ve sacrificed for us. Martha. Please show Mr Francis page two five one of the contract.

 

Chris looks confused as Martha pushes the contract page under his nose.

 

JEREMY

Line three, paragraph two. “I hereby trade over my life and soul to the siblings Cranston, as payment for their provision of one desire of desperation.” Legally binding and signed by yourself. Effective immediately.

 

CHRIS

What do you mean? You said it was free?

 

Jeremy takes the contract from Martha. She then pulls out a hammer and the Cranston’s enter the house.

 

JEREMY

Words are smoke sir. Contracts are fire.

Martha enters the house and Jeremy closes the door behind them.

 

JEREMY

And we burn.

 

Scene ends with the door closing

 

SCENE 2.

EXT. BEACH – DAY

CLOSE UP OF CHRIS’ FACE. He is unconscious, with some blood running from his head. As he wakes up, it is revealed that Chris is buried up to his neck in sand. Jeremy is sat to his right and Martha to his left (as they were arranged on the doorstep). The two are now wearing sunglasses.

 

CHRIS

Hello? What happened? Where am I? W-why am I buried on a beach? What did you do?

 

MARTHA

You’ve a lot of questions haven’t you? Shame we aren’t to answer any.

 

JEREMY

Don’t tease the man Martha

 

Chris remains puzzled and begins to struggle and panic.

 

CHRIS

I thought she was mute?

 

 

 

JEREMY

And I thought you would have learnt that I’m a liar. Now please. We do wish to enjoy watching the tide as it creeps in.

 

Chris looks forward and realises what’s going to happen.

 

CHRIS

You… you can’t be serious? This is murder! You need to get me out now. I don’t deserve this.

 

Jeremy and Martha both scoff.

 

MARTHA

It doesn’t matter who deserves it. We’ve got to pay our debt. We try and pick the bad ones but sometimes it’s easier to trick the dumb ones.

 

JEREMY

What did I say about teasing the poor man sister? Let the dying man have some peace.

 

CHRIS

Please. There’s got to be something I can do for you. Anything. I’ll do anything you want just please don’t kill me…please.

 

Both Cranston’s lean in to listen.

 

MARTHA

Go on

 

JEREMY

We’re listening

 

CHRIS

Well. I’ve got money. I’ll give you everything I have.

 

JEREMY

We’ve no need for the material or monetary thank you.

 

MARTHA

Besides, you already signed that over. Page eighty six line…

 

CHRIS

Ok! Fine. Well I could kill people for you. Do what you do. Work for your boss and trick people into death. I can do all that stuff.

 

MARTHA

That just makes you sound like a psychopath sir.

 

JEREMY

Can’t let murderers go.

 

CHRIS

Oh come on! What if…I took your debt?

 

JEREMY

What?

 

CHRIS

I take on what you owe and pay off your debt. You two get to live without that burden and I… get to live.

 

MARTHA

We could be free?

 

CHRIS

Totally

 

The brother and sister both look at each other and gesture towards Chris with there eyes.

 

JEREMY

We’ve decided to dig you up

 

They begin digging, but as they do, the music of an ice cream van plays. Martha stops digging and looks away.

 

MARTHA

Brother. Ice cream.

 

Jeremy stops digging too.

 

JEREMY

Good idea Martha. We’ll have some ice cream then dig Mr Francis up.

 

They both stand and walk off. Chris panics and shouts at them but all he gets in response is a cry from Jeremy.

 

CHRIS

No! Wait please! Where are you going? Don’t leave me! Help me!

 

JEREMY

Don t worry. We’ll get you one too.

 

There is a cut to a shot of the two walking back with their ice-creams. Jeremy has an extra for Chris. They are shocked when they see that the tide has risen.

 

JEREMY

Oh…forgot about the tide. Poor Mr Francis. Oh well, you get another ice cream sister.

 

They walk off shot and the scene ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment